Making Your Shopify Store a Family Business

By Shir Lapidot

Published January 10, 2022.

Making Your Shopify Store a Family Business main image

Many of us dream of owning and operating a business that can employ our partner or family members. For Jennifer Harvey, she made this dream a reality with Chic Sparrow. Keep reading to learn more about how the business came to be and when she knew it was time to bring her husband into the team as well.

Introducing Chic Sparrow

Jennifer Harvey founded Chic Sparrow in 2014. The company makes and sells leather travelers notebooks and other leather products because Jennifer believes an organized and thoughtful person makes the world a better place. She wants people to be inspired by their belongings to become a better person, and this was the motivation for her when founding her company. Jennifer soon knew she had found success online because the demand for her work became greater than she could keep up with on social media. Because of that, her husband left his job to work alongside Jennifer. At that time, her monthly income had surpassed twice his annual income, so it was a smart move for both of them.

Rustic Tote Bag - Jennifer Harvey


Jennifer’s Top Tips for Launching Your Shopify Store

When launching a new Shopify store, Jennifer always recommends starting small. As far as paying yourself, she suggests you give yourself 20% of the proceeds and reinvest the remaining 80%. If Jennifer could take back time, she would have hired help much earlier on in her business and taken management classes. She also would have turned to therapy sooner, as running a business brings up many personal and professional challenges. She knows that running a business isn’t for everyone, but the sooner you can overcome the challenges you face, the better off you’ll be in the future. The more support you have, the easier it will be to deal with the tough days, which are an inevitable part of owning your own business.

It’s Okay to Disappoint People

One of the toughest lessons you’ll learn as a business owner is that you aren’t everything for everyone. As soon as Jennifer adopted the attitude that it’s okay to disappoint some people, she found her life was much better off. It can be so easy to take feedback about your business personally, but you’ll only end up hurting yourself if you keep feeling this way. Jennifer recommends getting to know your customer and your product. Be confident in the unique offering you have to share with the world, and you’ll find that the right people flock to you in no time at all. You aren’t going to be everyone’s favorite online store, but when you find a group of loyal customers, they’ll be excited to share the word about your product to their friends and family as well.

Thank you to Jennifer for sharing her insights into her business with us today. If you are interested in learning more about Chic Sparrow and its full product range, head to their website. We wish Jennifer and her husband the best of luck in 2022, and we’re sure it will be another successful year for their team.