What Is a Google Analytics Property?
Learn about the Google Analytics property feature and how it can help you make sense of your data.
Brody Hallon May 25, 2022.
Google Analytics property is an excellent tool for website owners and developers. Here we explain specifically what it is, why it’s important to your website, and how to add properties to Google Analytics.
What Is Google Analytics Property?
Google Analytics is a website and e-commerce analytics tool offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google Analytics property is the collection of data associated with a website or online resource tracked in Google Analytics. A property can be a website, mobile app, or another online resource. Within a property, you can track different dimensions and metrics to understand how your users interact with your content.
How to Add Property to Google Analytics
Adding a property to Google Analytics allows website owners to collect and analyze data about their website traffic. To set up Google Analytics properties, simply follow these steps:
- Log into your Google Analytics account and select the website you’d like to add a new property to.
- Now, click on “Admin” from the dashboard’s menu.
- From the “Property” column, click the “Create Property” button.
- Next, enter the property details of your website. This includes name, time zone, currency, etc.
- Set an appropriate property type and click the “Next” button.
- Fill in any remaining business information, then click the “Create” button.
- Accept the Google Analytics terms of service.
- Next, create your data stream by selecting the “Web” button.
- From here, fill in the website’s URL and name, then click “Create stream.”
- Now, you’ll need to install your tracking code. Once that’s done, you’re all finished.
To learn more about Google Analytics, check out our post on how custom Google Analytics reports work for e-commerce.
Can't find what you're looking for?