How to Use SERP Position Analytics to Outrank Your Competitors
Learn how to use SERP position analytics to improve your SEO and increase your website's visibility.
Brody Hallon July 8, 2022.
SERP (search engine results page) positions are the order of websites that show up on a search engine results page. SERP positions are determined by a search engine's algorithm, which is a set of rules that determine how a search engine will rank websites. The higher a website is in the SERP positions, the more likely it is to be found by someone searching for information on the internet.
Importance of SERP Analysis
SERP analysis is important for a variety of reasons. By understanding how a website is performing in SERPs, businesses and organizations can identify opportunities for improvement. SERP analysis can help to benchmark a website against competitors and identify potential areas for optimization.
Monitoring your SERP positions can also help website owners identify whether their website is performing well for certain queries and whether there are any opportunities to improve their rankings. Most importantly, by tracking a website's movement in the SERPs over time, webmasters can gauge the effectiveness of their SEO efforts.
5 Steps for Conducting SERP Analysis
There are many ways to analyze SERP (search engine results pages) ranking. To do so, start here:
- The most important part is to have a clear goal in mind before you start analyzing the data.
- Once you know your goal, you can begin to look at the different factors that influence your site's rank.
- Some common factors that impact SERP ranking are backlinks, on-page optimization, domain authority, and page authority.
- Each of these factors can be further broken down into more specific metrics that can be used for analysis.
- Once you have an understanding of the individual metrics, you can start to compile them into a larger picture and see how they all interact with each other.
This holistic view will help you prioritize which factors need the most attention and give you a roadmap for improving your site's rank.
Google offers two of the best free-to-use SEO tools that can be used to analyze the SERPs, Google Search Console and Google Analytics. To learn which one is best for you, see our Google Search Console vs Google Analytics guide.
Can't find what you're looking for?